Do you know how the exposome affects your skin?

What is the cutaneous exposome?

A skin exposome is the set of factors to which our body is exposed throughout life and which have a strong impact on our health and cellular development.
These factors can be both external (environmental) and internal (lifestyle and habits).

Who introduced it?

This term was first coined in 2005 by American molecular epidemiologist Christopher P. Wild, Researcher and Director of the U.S. Agency for International Agency for Research on Cancer.

Why is it so relevant?

Analysing the exposome to which each individual is exposed is very important as it has been detected that environmental or lifestyle factors explain between 70-80% of chronic diseases and/or the aging of our skin. This leaves only the remaining 30-20% determined by our genetics.
The skin, being the outermost organ of our body, is clearly impacted by the exposure of all these factors. Your appearance and health will be determined by these factors and, consequently, you must keep them in mind and take care of yourself to minimize their impact.

Main Skin Exposome Factors

Solar radiation. As is already well known, accumulated sun exposure is the main cause of skin aging. The combination of ultraviolet radiation (UVA and UVB) leads to the generation of free radicals that are involved in the formation of wrinkles and blemishes on the skin.

Environmental pollution. The different pollutants in the earth's air and atmosphere (metals, suspended particles, gases,...) affect the health of our skin as they can inflame, limit its regenerative capacity, affect the degradation of collagen, affecting its elasticity, firmness and pigmentation.

Stress. The constant stress in our body can weaken our skin's defenses and increase its oxidation, increasing free radicals and enabling the development of skin conditions or irritations.

Lack of rest. At night when we rest, our body carries out an internal regenerative process that is essential for the health of our skin. Not getting enough sleep enough increases the signs of aging of our epidermis and dermis, favoring the appearance of wrinkles and dark circles and weakening the skin's protective barrier.

Feeding. Good eating habits and healthy guidelines will properly nourish our skin from the inside, favoring its hydration, protection and prevention of the signs of aging. Avoiding sugars and processed foods or providing ourselves with enough vitamins and minerals are examples of how to maintain a diet that helps our skin stay healthy and youthful for longer.

Smoking. Tobacco is one of the most harmful toxins for our skin and our entire body due to its high chemical content. Smoking leaves the skin dull, dehydrated, and significantly increases the appearance of wrinkles and blemishes.

Foto credits Amy Humphries, Philippe Collard, Ella Ivanescu y Jared Rice en Unsplash


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published